Job Title: ACCOUNTANT
Job Summary: Under the leadership of the Executive Director, the Accountant is responsible for providing technical expertise and supporting the financial operations of Uganda Society for Disabled Children and ensures timely and accurate financial reports and practices including review of cash management, financial disbursements, ledgers and ensuring high levels of compliance for both internal policies and statutory requirements.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Financial Systems and Financial reporting
- Ensure that the QuickBooks Accounting System is accurately and timely updated with all the financial transactions
- Prepare monthly reconciliations of debtors, creditors, bank accounts, cash accounts and other balance sheet accounts to identify differences and discrepancies in the accounts and prepare adjusting journals to make the relevant corrections.
- Ensure preparation and timely submission of monthly funds requests for the programme from the funding sources to ensure there’s sufficient liquidity at all times
- Manage and maintain the capitalized USDC fixed asset (FA) schedule tracking acquisitions, disposals and write offs and compute monthly depreciation charges.
- As per USDC guidelines, accurately review the payroll ensuring that staff salaries and related statutory deductions are made and paid in a timely manner.
- Prepare and share monthly financial reports with the program team
- Maintain an up to date reporting matrix and ensure that the quarterly and annual reports are submitted to the donors in a timely manner
- Participate in periodic program review meetings
Budgeting and Forecasting
- Provide technical support and guidance during preparation of the annual budgets and mid-year reforecasts
- Ensure approved and operational budgets are uploaded into the system in a timely manner and perform quarterly revisions on the operational budget as required
- Participate in the preparation of donor proposal budgets
- Liaising with department heads to ensure that monthly cash request is submitted in the timely manner
General compliance and risk management
- Monitor staff advance balances and ensure these are always maintained as current, and cleared on time as per the finance policy
- Conduct regular field visits and keep the Executive Director informed of all situations which have the potential to negatively impact internal controls or financial performance.
- Support in implementation of internal controls of the organization as per policies in place.
- Coordinate in close contact with the Internal Audit team to ensure that the external statutory and donor audits of USDC are undertaken and that any issues in the management letter are followed up and resolved/implemented.
- Advise both finance and non-finance staff over matters of internal control compliance, periodically review the suitability of the existing controls to ensure they are adequate enough to minimize the risk exposure of USDC but that they reinforce the proper implementation of programs. Recommend to management any controls that may be necessary to close any foreseen risks.
- Prepare statutory deductions (PAYE, NSSF) payments and submit statutory returns to the relevant authorities within the stipulated timelines.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance
- Professional qualification in CPA, ACCA or other internationally recognized accounting qualification
- A minimum of 5 years of working experience in the accounting/finance department of NGOs at Management level.
- Experience in financial management, finance policy implementation, budget monitoring and financial reporting for donor grants
- Familiarity with QuickBooks online accounting system and use of online work flows is desirable.
- Good analytical skills and ability to present and report findings verbally and in writing.
How to Apply: Please apply online by submitting the following information:
a) Application letter;
c) One-page motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Or hand deliver to USDC office located on plot 112 Owen Road, Mulago Hill.
Tel. +256703417044; +256776675577
All Applications must be addressed to The Executive Director, Uganda Society for Disabled Children.
Deadline: 15th May, 2023, 23.59 Hours, EAT.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.